Frequently Asked Questions

We’ve compiled some of the most common questions and answers here to help ease the process.

Where is the Housing Authority located?

Our address is 216 S. College St., Thomasville, GA 31792

What are your office hours?

Monday – Thursday 7:30 am – 5:30 pm
Friday - Closed
Saturday-Sunday - Closed

How can I contact the Housing Authority?

Administrative office 229-226-4065
Fax 229-228-7216
Work Order line 229-226-4065 press 2
Emergency Work Orders 229-403-7436

I need housing immediately. Can you help me?

The Housing Authority does not provide emergency housing.

How do I apply for Public Housing?

The first step is to complete an application by visiting our administrative offices at 216 S. College Street in Thomasville, GA 31792. To save time, download our application on our website and have it filled out when you arrive. You will need to bring Social Security cards, original birth certificates, and proof of income for every member of your household.

Is there an age requirement to apply?

Yes. The applicant must be at least 18 years of age or older.

Can I apply if I have an old balance?

No. You can not apply for public housing if you owe a balance to the Thomasville or Boston Housing Authority or any other government-assisted housing program. Any balance must be paid in full in order to apply.

How much will my rent be?

Rent is based on gross household income.

Do you take Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers?

No. We do not take Housing Choice Vouchers. We only have Public Housing apartments.

What is the difference between Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program and Public Housing?

Someone receiving public housing assistance must live in one of the housing authority communities. Someone receiving a Section 8 voucher rents a privately owned unit and receives a voucher to assist with rent.

Is everyone eligible for housing?

The Housing Authority does background checks on applicants. Certain criminal offenses will make a person ineligible.

Do you offer handicap-accessible apartments?

Yes. We have a limited number of handicapped apartments.

How does the waiting list work?

The waiting list is maintained by the date and time a person applies, the size of the family unit the person is eligible for and any preferences the person qualifies for.

How can I find my name on the waiting list?

You may contact the Housing Authority. The waiting list changes on a monthly basis and time varies from 30 days to 1 or more years depending on the bedroom size an applicant is eligible for.

I applied for housing assistance previously but now I’m told my name has been removed from the waiting list. How does this happen?

If the Housing Authority is unable to contact you, your name will be removed from the waiting list. If you move or have a change in family composition or family income, you will need to come by the administrative office and fill out an updated form. If your phone number changes you will need to contact the administrative office to update your number so that we may contact you when an apartment is available.

How long will I have to wait to get an apartment?

There is no way to predict how long you will have to wait before you are contacted for an apartment. This depends on when someone moves out and a vacancy occurs. It’s very important that you notify the office if there is a change of your address or telephone number so you will be able to be reached.

What should I do if my income, family composition, or address changes before I am housed?

Contact the Housing Authority as quickly as possible when the change occurs.

If I live in Public Housing, can I move (port out) to another jurisdiction?

No. Portability is not offered in Public Housing. It is possible to transfer to another unit in Public Housing under certain circumstances.

Can I have pets in public housing?

Yes. You can have a pet that fits within Housing Authority regulations. The regulations require a pet deposit and there are limits on the type and size of the pet. However, someone in need of a service animal is not required to pay a pet deposit. Contact the Housing Authority administrative office for more information. You may also view our pet policy on this website.

Can I have family stay with me?

You are allowed to have visitors stay with you overnight. However, visitors are not normally allowed to stay more than 14 days within one year without approval.

What if I need a wheelchair ramp?

If you become disabled the Housing Authority will provide you with a wheelchair ramp.

Am I responsible for damages to my apartment?

You are not responsible for the normal wear and tear of your unit. However, you are responsible for damage to your apartment caused by you, a family member, or your guests.

Do you do inspections of apartments?

Yes. Inspections are done monthly during pest control spraying.